Hooman! I want more toys! Chances are your dog loves toys of all shapes, sizes, and textures. Many dogs enjoy cuddling with soft plush toys while others chew on every toy possible. However, did you know chew toys are actually good for your dog?
Benefits of Chew Toys for Dogs
- Provides mental stimulation
- Prevents boredom
- Produces antibacterial saliva that naturally cleans a dog’s mouth
- Relieves anxiety and stress
- Prevents plaque and tartar from building up on teeth
- Allows dogs to explore new textures
- Helps maintain strong teeth and healthy gums
- Entertains your dog
Now that you know chew toys are great for your dog, it’s time to choose toys your dog will love!
Here are the best chew toys for dogs:
When choosing a chew toy for your dog you need to consider the size of their mouth. The best toys for small dogs are just a bit larger than their mouths and an ideal size for them to hold between their paws as they chew away. Of course, the best chew toys for large dogs need to suit the size of their mouth to prevent accidentally swallowing the toy. Always purchase new toys as your puppy grows into adulthood to ensure they always have the right size for their mouth.
Typically, the best toys for dogs to chew feature various textures. You can choose to purchase chew toys in a package or one at a time. Various textures are essential to maintaining overall good oral health.
Each texture and design on the chew toy is specially created to provide benefits for your dog’s oral health. For example, chew toys that have small bumps help remove hardened plaque on the teeth.
Rope toys are fun for dogs. Fetch and tug of war are popular games to play with rope toys. Playing games with your dog helps build trust and a strong loving bond. Most rope toys are designed with a knot located at each end. As dogs chew on the rope the tiny durable threads act as tooth floss to clean particles and stuck-on food from their teeth. Rope toys are one of the best chew toys for large dogs and aggressive chewers.
Dental Chew Toys
Did you know dogs can develop periodontal disease at age three? Unfortunately, there are an alarming number of dogs that lack optimal dental care. As a pet parent, you might be learning this information for the first time. If you didn’t know you need to brush your dog’s teeth and provide dental chew toys, now is the time to get started.
The good news is, dental chew toys come in all sizes that suit different size mouths and jaws. As mentioned earlier, make sure the size of the dental bone is larger than your dog’s mouth to prevent choking and accidental ingesting.
Squishy Chew Toys
Squishy and easy to squeak chew toys are great for puppies and senior dogs. The softness is gentle on their gums and the texture of the toy removes bacteria from teeth. Soft chew toys are also great for dogs of all ages that have a gentle touch but they are not ideal for aggressive chewers.
Also, Soft chew dog toys are a lot of fun, they can be used to chew, play fetch, and make great bath and pool toys!
Hard Chew Toys
Does your little fur monster chew up their toys and shred them to pieces? Don’t worry your dog is not possessed, they just like to play with tons of passion. If they lived in the wild, they would use their aggressive play skills to their advantage as survivor skills. Hard chew toys are designed to withstand aggressive chewing while keeping your dog entertained.
Chew toys shaped like a ball create the perfect opportunity to play fetch with your dog. They are fun to play with indoors and outdoors while providing your dog the opportunity to chew like crazy and still have the hard chew ball intact the next day.
You can also search for eco-friendly dog chew options at your local pet store so you can make the best decision for you, your pup, and the planet!
Treat Dispensing Chew Toys
Every dog loves a treat-dispensing toy! You just hide their favorite kibble or treats inside and let them chew the toy and use their paws to maneuver the toy around until the food falls out. It’s kind of like a doggie piñata!
Treat dispensing toys keep your dog entertained while stimulating their mind, feeding them treats, and helping them to maintain good dental hygiene. You can invest in a few treat-dispensing chew toys to ensure your dog will never get bored. Also, it’s a great toy to give your dog when they are left home alone.
How to Choose the Best Chew Toys for Dogs
Dogs want to sink their teeth into chewy textures but how many can resist their bite? Whether your dog is a gentle or aggressive chewer toys will get worn down. If you don’t want to spend tons of money replacing toys, choose toys based on their chew style.
All chew toys are created with a level of durability but it’s up to you to decide which one is best for your dog. The best way to find out is by observing your dog’s behavior when they play with toys.
- Nibblers – Does your dainty little pup nibble on their toys calmly and happily? These sweet little pups will do great with soft chew toys. They will enjoy the texture and flexibility.
- Gentle players – Does your dog gently use their paws to toss around their toys? Perhaps you have caught your dog treating their toys like precious gems that should barely be touched? If so, soft chew toys and medium chew toys are an excellent option. They will also enjoy a treat-dispensing chew toy.
- Cozy cuddlers – Does your dog love stuffed plush toys? These sensitive dogs enjoy the softness and cuddly feel of their toys. Perhaps the texture reminds them of their early days sleeping side by side with their siblings. If your dog prefers cuddly toys, choose options that feature a plush body and head with hard chew hands and feet. This special design gives your dog the best of both worlds. Plus they are available in really cute styles and colors!
- Chew-aholics – Does your dog like to chew on your furniture, shoes, and everything in between? Dogs explore their world using their senses including their sense of smell and taste. Most dogs chew on things as they explore each object. However, some dogs will chew on everything they see even if they have explored it before. If this sounds like your dog, invest in several chew toys that are designed with durability in mind. A helpful tip is to place the toys sporadically around the house to catch their attention and distract them from chewing on the furniture.
- Chew monsters – Does your dog grab their toys in their mouth and whip their head back and forth. If so, you have an aggressive chewer in your household. While their chewing skills would help them in the wild by pulling prey apart, in the domestic world, they are most likely just shredding their toys apart. Plush toys are not recommended for your little chew monster. Instead, you need to get them highly durable chew toys and ropes that will endure their chewing habits. The good news is they are available in a variety of shapes, styles, colors, and textures. A helpful tip is to invest in a knotted rope toy and a strong chew ball to get your dog’s toy collection started!
Chew toys are more than just fun toys. They provide your dog with entertainment, prevent boredom, and help improve oral health. It’s wise to invest in a variety of chew toys to help keep your dog mentally stimulated.
Most dogs get bored when they are home alone. If you are away from the house for hours at a time, chew toys can become your dog’s best friends. Just make sure you are providing chew toys that don’t have small pieces attached that could end up being a choking hazard.
Helpful Tips for Choosing the Best Chew Toys for Dogs
- Choose the texture your dog prefers.
- Buy new toys as your dog grows and the size of their mouth changes.
- Provide soft chew toy options as your dog ages or if they experience oral health issues.
- Choose chew toys to help maintain or improve oral health.
- Choose chew toys for their fun level. For example, the amount of fun your dog will have with this particular toy.
- Provide plenty of chew toy options to help keep your dog’s mind stimulated and help prevent boredom.
- Choose chew toys for their quality and durability.
Chew toys are an important part of your dog’s life. You have the power to provide them with fun, durable and exciting chew toys throughout their lifetime! Get started now!